first day home

8:28 PM Posted In , , Edit This 0 Comments »
I found a posting on Craigslist from PAWS in Philadelphia about mother cats and their litters who would be destroyed if they weren't fostered, and it just about broke my heart to think about that. I have a small, unused bedroom in my home, so now it's a kitty cat playpen for a momma cat and her two kittens.

There were 5 mom's and kittens at the shelter, but one was scheduled for euthanasia because she has an infected bite wound on her tail. The mom is a tiny tuxedo cat who is probably not even a year old herself. The babies are both tuxedo tabbies. We took them in, though, so now they are safe.

My carrier has a small sliding door so that I can reach in to the carrier. The whole ride home in the car I was stroking momma cat. If I stopped petting her she would look up at me and meow. She is such a loving cat!

We've named momma "Rose," and the kittens "Mickey" and "Martha," because we're Dr. Who dorks. :-) I'm pretty sure Martha is a girl and Mickey is a boy, but they are too young to know for sure yet. Both still have their eyes closed and umbilical cords attached, so they can't be more than a day or two old.

Rose is such a good mom! She wouldn't even leave the kittens to eat. I put a tin of food in front of her so that she could eat without leaving the kittens, and she munched it down hungrily.

These cats will all be up for adoption as soon as the kittens are old enough to be weaned. I want to make space for the next litter to come home. Please let me know if you have any interest in these sweet cats.

0 comments: